Right to Inspect and Amend Education Records
The College shall provide a student the opportunity to challenge the content of his or her Education Records where the student believes the record(s) to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of privacy rights, and to correct, delete, or insert written statements of explanation into such record(s). This does not give a student a right to contest or challenge an assigned grade. Although disagreements may be settled through informal meetings and discussions, either the student or the College may request an administrative hearing to resolve the dispute. The student seeking the hearing shall make his or her request in writing to:
Office of the Registrar
St. Elizabeth College of Nursing
2215 Genesee Street
Utica, New York 13501
The Hearing Process:
1. The student must make a written request to the custodial office responsible for the record, precisely identify the part of the record they want changed and specify what is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's right of privacy..
2. St. Elizabeth College of Nursing may comply with the request or may decide not to comply. If it decides not to comply, the College will notify the student of the decision within 45 calendar days and advise the student of the right to a hearing to challenge the information believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights.
3. Upon request, St. Elizabeth College of Nursing will arrange for a hearing and notify the student, reasonably in advance, of the date, place and time of the hearing.
4. The student shall be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issues raised in the original request to amend the student's education record. The student may be assisted by one or more individuals, including an attorney.
5. If the custodial office maintaining the record reports to the Academic Dean, the hearing will be conducted by the Academic Dean (or designee) responsible for the supervision of this office.
6. If the custodial office maintaining the record is the Academic Dean, the hearing will be conducted by the President (or designee).
7. St. Elizabeth College of Nursing will prepare a written decision, within 10 business days of completion of the hearing, based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.
8. If St. Elizabeth College of Nursing determines that the challenged information is not inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy, it will notify the student that a statement commenting on the challenged information and/or statement setting forth reasons for disagreeing with the decision may be appended to the record.
**Student and/or parents who wish to review the complete Federal Regulations of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) can visit http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov. Enter Title 34: Education, Part 99 – FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY.